Modesto Robbery Attorney
Defending Against Robbery Charges in California
At Forkner Orlando & Echevarria, we understand that facing robbery charges in California can be an overwhelming and distressing experience. If you or a loved one is in this difficult situation, it's essential to have a knowledgeable and skilled Modesto robbery attorney by your side to protect your rights, build a strong defense, and navigate the complex legal landscape. With years of experience and a commitment to delivering exceptional legal representation, our firm is dedicated to helping you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
What is Robbery?
Robbery is a serious criminal offense in California that involves taking another person's property by force, fear, or intimidation. The key elements that constitute robbery are using force or fear to take property from another person's immediate possession, against their will, and with the intent to deprive them of their property permanently. This crime is distinct from theft or burglary because it involves a direct confrontation or interaction with the victim. Whether the robbery is committed using a weapon, physical force, or the threat of harm, the legal consequences can be severe.
What are the Penalties for Robbery in California?
In California, robbery is classified as a felony offense, and the penalties upon conviction can be harsh. The severity of the penalties depends on various factors, including the presence of aggravating circumstances such as the use of a firearm, injury to the victim, or prior criminal record. Generally, the potential penalties for robbery include:
- Imprisonment: Conviction for robbery can result in a significant prison sentence. Depending on the circumstances, sentences can range from several years to life in prison.
- Fines: Along with imprisonment, individuals convicted of robbery may face substantial fines, which can further compound the financial burden of a conviction.
- Restitution: Courts may order the convicted individual to pay restitution to the victim for any losses suffered due to the robbery, such as stolen property or medical expenses.
- Criminal Record: A robbery conviction can lead to a permanent criminal record, which can have long-lasting effects on your life, including employment opportunities and housing options.
Legal Defenses Against Robbery Charges
Having a skilled Modesto robbery attorney on your side is crucial for building a strong defense strategy tailored to the unique circumstances of your case. Some potential defenses against robbery charges include:
- Lack of Intent: To be convicted of robbery, there must be proof that you intended to permanently deprive the victim of their property. If there is doubt regarding your intent, it could weaken the prosecution's case.
- False Accusations: False accusations or mistaken identity can sometimes lead to wrongful charges. Your attorney will investigate the alleged incident's circumstances to uncover any inconsistencies or evidence supporting your innocence.
- Coercion or Duress: This could be a valid defense if you were forced or coerced into committing the robbery under threats or fear for your safety or the safety of a loved one.
- Insufficient Evidence: Your attorney will thoroughly examine the evidence presented by the prosecution to identify weaknesses in their case. This could include challenging witnesses' credibility, statements' inconsistencies, or gaps in the evidence chain.
Contact Our Modesto Robbery Lawyer Today
If you or someone you care about is facing robbery charges in Modesto, California, it's crucial to act quickly and secure skilled legal representation. The experienced attorneys at Forkner Orlando & Echevarria are dedicated to protecting your rights, crafting a robust defense, and striving for the best possible outcome in your case. We understand the challenges you're facing, and we're here to guide you through the legal process with compassion and expertise.
Contact Forkner Orlando & Echevarria today to schedule a consultation with our Modesto robbery attorney.